It's Spirit Week at school and today is "career day" meant for adorable little children to dress up like doctors and fire fighters. Jasper decided that he wanted to be a rock star. This is probably a red flag.
Last night around 9 o'clock I remembered that I needed to make him a guitar. You are looking at "The Silver Legacy". He and I made one of these together a long time ago when it was a featured project in Real Simple Family. I'll recap my current version:
Gather your stuff...
You will need:
1 small shoe box
4 large, wide rubberbands
1 cardboard tube (from gift wrap)
Washi tape (Kid Made Modern from Target in the pic)
Clear packing tape
An X-ACTO knife or some scissors
- I started by covering the entire shoebox in foil. I sealed the lid with packing tape.
- Trace around the cardboard tube on one end of the box, below the lid. Make two intersecting cuts across the circle, like a plus sign.
- On the box top, trace a large circle and cut out.
- Insert the cardboard tube into the incision. My tube got a little squished going through the hole, and I trimmed it with scissors through the opening on the box top.
- Cover the entire box with clear tape to protect it.
- Carefully stretch the rubberbands around the box
- Secure the strings on either end with some washi tape, cover with packing tape.
- Decorate the tube with marker, stickers and more tape. I also covered with clear tape to secure the stickers.
Now it's time to rock.